Gas Turbine Lubricant-related Failures and Solutions
Optimize the Performance of Today’s Gas Turbines
Fill, forget, dump, flush, repeat.
This consumable approach to lubricant lifecycle management has a compounding effect on asset predictability and costs. From the first day, a lubricant is put into service it accumulates dissolved oxidation by-products – the feedstock of varnish, constraining the life of the lubricant, contributing to gas turbine lubricant related failures.
Inline duplex filtration addresses particulate removal, but the capacity is limited and does not address lubricant chemistry.
The thermal control valve manages lubricant temperature and pressure, ensuring mechanical components are lubricated and run at peak efficiency. Excess heat degrades the lubricant, resulting in harmful varnish on component surfaces, and deteriorating bearings and seals.
Bearings play a significant role in the machine’s overall reliability and rotor-bearing system vibration. Exposed to hot combustion gases, as well as compressed air, bearings and lubricants are subject to thermal degradation.
- improper lubrication which accounts for up to 80 percent of bearing failures
- degraded babbitt condition
- increased friction due to varnish and particulate accumulation leading to adhesive wear
- high rotor vibration which can damage the bearings
- dramatically shortens bearing life
- contributes to thermal degradation
- results in improper lubrication
- results in harmful varnish on component surfaces
- exponentially increases filtration requirements
Meet SVR® RO, a full-time lubricant chemistry management solution. Backed by patented ICB® RO and high-efficiency particulate removal filters, SVR addresses lubricant breakdown at the molecular level, cleaning the lubricant every time it cycles through the dialysis style loop.
With the SVR installed:
- The lubricant enters the restoration phase
- Deposited contamination dissolves back into the oil via chemical equilibrium
- Temperature control is regulated increasing equipment availability
- Inline duplex filter life is extended
- Lubricant properties are restored, extending available life
- Proper bearing function is restored mitigating vibration and failure
- Asset availability, predictability and reliability is restored
Prevent gas turbine lubricant-related failures with an industry-leading defense shield. Be the hero. Join the installation movement.